Translate

Friday 13 December 2013

Marraskuu

I spent a day at a small primary school just out of Oulainen's centre giving presentations on Australia to about 6 different classes of kids. They were all very excited to have a foreigner there and keen to hear about Australia- such a different country to Finland. Once again one on the funny moments of the day was their reactions to me saying that I hadn't seen snow before I came to Finland this year, and when I told of our winters temperatures and how much hotter our summers are (in Finland, over 20 degrees is very warm so even our winter sounds like Summer to them!). Their faces were priceless!



I saw my first professional icehockey game at the beginning of November. I went to Oulu with my host dad and one of my host brothers and watched Oulu's team (Kärpät) absolutely thrash (7-0) the team from Hämeenlinna. It was absolutely packed with people! It was a great atmosphere to watch the game in.


My host town may be small but a couple weeks of each year they host Musiikiviikot (music weeks) and have all different types of artists come and hold concerts.
I went and saw Eva and Manu (a Finnish girl and French guy) with some friends which was really good! And also one Saturday night Haloo Helsinki was even here to perform! They are a very popular Finnish band so Alison came from Kokkola and joined me too! We saw them and then later that night we also had the chance to see Sini Sabotage (a currenly rather famous Finnish DJ).

No comments:

Post a Comment