Translate

Saturday 31 August 2013

Ammattiopisto

Instead of going to Lukio (highschool), I started this week off with one day spent at one of the vocational schools here in Oulainen. My first host mum works there and invited me along to join in one of her classes, teaching those students studying to become carers and nurses. In this lesson they learnt to give different types of injections and I was allowed to join in! We practiced first on some fake skin sponge type things (pictured) and then we moved onto trying on eachother! Stomach, butt and thigh.. one of the more interesting practicals I've participated in! :D



In the afternoon I joined a class of older students who are studying to become nurses. Here I was also able to join in as they learnt how to mix antibiotics and medicines and also, how to organise and assemble a drip.

It was a fun and interesting day! It was really different to the school I usually attend and was a great experience. Vocational schools like this are very common and many students go to these schools after middle school, instead of Lukio, so that they can start their studies in the trade or practical profession they want to go into. So, it was really a good opportunity for me to see how some of the other people my age study and what those schools are like.

No comments:

Post a Comment